Pictured right - Louis and Gertrude Cohen with their children Ina (Rosenberg) and Lorraine (Davis), circa 1950s
1. Pie crust recipe of your choice - enough to cover the bottom of a large rectangle cookie sheet.
2. Mix the following together well:
• 5 cans sliced apples in water (do not use pie filling). Drain all the water out. (Used to buy them from Simon Brothers!)
• 12 to 15 tablespoons flour
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 2 Tbsp cinnamon
• nutmeg 2-3 shakes
• 1 cup white raisins
3. Pour into cookie sheet spreading it evenly. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Take out slices and turn oven to 350.
4. Mix together:
• 2 firm cups brown sugar
• 1 cup flour
• 3/4 cup butter melted
• 1Tbsp cinnamon
5. Spread mixture over top of slices. You can put chopped nuts on top. I use walnuts but original recipe didn't have them. Put back in oven for 15 minutes.
6. Mix together until smooth:
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 1 Tbsp vanilla
• 3 Tbsp butter
• milk or cream to thin (I use milk. Dad made the frosting fairly thick but I usually just drizzle on a thin layer - less calories.)
7. Pour over warm slices. Cut into squares and serve.
Let us know how you like them! Tell us in the comments below.
Return to MJHS Footprints newsletter, Fall 2015.