crowe(1).png

Local accounting firm Crowe Chizek was established in South Bend in 1942 by Fred P. Crowe and Cletus F. Chizek. After the death of Fred P. Crowe in 1952, Fred P. Crowe, Jr. and M. Mendel Piser became partners and the firm was renamed Crowe, Chizek and Company. The firm continued to expand and when Mendel Piser retired in 1982, he was succeeded by Ronald S. Cohen.

 

When Ron began with the accounting firm there were only 12 employees. It is now an international accounting and technology firm with over 4,500 employees in 38 offices. The firm was rebranded as Crowe Horvath, and is now known as just Crowe. Both Mendel Piser and Ron Cohen were community leaders - professionally and personally. They both served as President of our Jewish Federation and as President of AICPA, the largest organization for CPAs in the world.

Thanks to Indiana Humanities for awarding us a grant for this project and to all the volunteers who helped put this together (especially past and present community members who agreed to tell us their stories).