The Hebrew Institute on Franklin Street in South Bend (now home to The Ivy at Berlin Place apartments) was built for $25,000 in 1916. The Hebrew Institute served as a way for those in the South Bend Jewish community to have banquets, meetings, and funerals and a Hebrew School!
It was a means for Jewish women in the community to meet and enjoy fellowship through the Hebrew Orthodox Sisterhood and the Hebrew Institute for Women. It was dissolved in 1975. Organizations that met there included Junior B’Nai Brith, Pioneer Women, Kadimah Tennis League, B’Nai Brith, Union of South Bend Jewish Youth, South Bend Zionists, United Talmud Torah, a Chanukah pageant. Some programs were conducted in Yiddish.
Thanks to Indiana Humanities for awarding us a grant for this project and to all the volunteers who helped put this together (especially past and present community members who agreed to tell us their stories).